The San Clemente Church in Brescia is part of a Benedictine Monastery. After earlier renovations in the 14th century and in 1471, the Dominicans made the most important embellishments in 1517. Artistic highlights in the church, which consists of a single nave, are the main altar created by Antonio Calegari, the cloisters and a small pinacotheque with paintings by Il Moretto.
San Clemente Church Brescia
Address: Vicolo San Clemente, 6 – 25121 Brescia. Opening hours: Saturday and Sunday, from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. Entrance fee: Free of charge.
Hisotry and description
The Chiesa di San Clemente already existed in the 11th century. Major renovations took place in the 15th and 16th centuries and in 1840. The architect of the latter reconstruction was Rodolfo Vantini.
The local artist Il Moretto, several of whose paintings can be seen in the church, is buried in the church.
In the second chapel on the right hangs a painting by Gerolamo Romanino entitled “Resurrected Christ between Saints Caterina and Agostino.”
One of the cloisters was frescoed by Antonio Cappello.