According to an inscription inside the San Cristoforo Church in Lucca, it was constructed by the same architect who had been responsible for the Baptistery of Pisa, Diotisalvi. The church was deconsecrated after World War II.
San Cristoforo Church Lucca
Address: Via Fillungo, 6 – Lucca. Phone: Unknown. Opening times and ticket price depend on the event.
History and description
The earliest document making mention of the Chiesa di San Cristoforo dates from 1053.
In the Middle Ages, it was the headquarters of the consuls of the Cause Lucchesi.
The church as built by Diotisalvi must have been a reconstruction of the original one, since the architect lived in the 12th century. The alternating white and black stone facade, a typical element of Pisan architecture, was probably the work of Diotisalvi.
The rose window in the top part of the facade was added in the 14th century.
Between 1939 and 1940, the interior of the church was completely changed. Decorations, including the baroque altars and 15th century arches were removed. After this, the church was turned into a shrine for the fallen soldiers by inscribing their names on the walls. The church itself was deconsecrated.
At present it is being used as a venue for all kinds of cultural events.