The San Cristoforo Church in Siena dates back to the 11th century. The facade was reconstructed after the 1798 earthquake. Until the 14th century, the city council used to meet in this church in the Civetta district.
San Cristoforo Church Siena
Address: Piazza Tolomei – Siena. Phone: +39 057 7282135. Opening times: From 07:00 till 12:00 and from 15:30 till 19:00. Admission: Free.
History and description
The San Cristoforo Church is one of the oldest churches in the city. It was originally built in a Romanesque style, but had to be completely rebuilt after an earthquake towards the end of the 19th century.
Between the 12th and 13th centuries the church was the seat of the so-called Consiglio della Campana, the Council of the Republic of Siena.
The neo-classical brick façade is characterized by four columns and two statues.
What to see
Near the first altar on the left is a “Madonna with Child and Saints” by Girolamo del Pacchia. The work was made in the 16th century.
Bartolomeo Mazzuoli made the marble sculpture group at the main altar. The work, created in 1693, depicts the “Blessed Bernardo Tolomei”. It was originally placed in the no longer existing San Benedetto ai Tufi Monastery.
The cloister dates from the 17th century and was restored in 1921. The entrance to what is now and exhibition space is to the left of the church, in the Via del Moro.