The San Domenico Church is an 18th century church in the Piazza del Plebiscito in Ancona. The church served as a barracks during the French occupation. Highlights include paintings by Titian and Guercino.
San Domenico Church Ancona
Address: Piazza del Plebiscito, 28 – Ancona. Phone: +39 071 202011. Opening times: From 08:00 till 12:00 and from 17:30 till 19:00 (Sundays from 09:00 till 12:15 and from 17:30 till 19:15). Admission: Free.
History and description
The San Domenico Church was designed during the second half of the 18th century by the architect Carlo Marchionni. Marchionni was also responsible for a renovation of the Piazza del Plebiscito.
The exterior is characterized by the two wide staircases and by the façade consisting of two levels (the upper of which is not completed).
During the French occupation the church was used as a barracks for a while, only to resume its original function in 1816.
The interior consists of a single nave with a number of side chapels.
What to see
There are 10 sculptures depicting saints of the Dominican order made by Gioacchino Varlè, who was also for the 10 round medallions.
Titian painted the “Crucifixion” above the main altar.
Guercino painted the “Annunciation of the Lord” above the first altar on the left.
The second chapel on the left features a “Madonna del Rosario” by Varlé.
The sacristy houses a 14th century “Madonna dell’Incoronata”.