The San Domenico Church stands at the end of Via Santa Margherita in Cortona, which is decorated with Stations of the Cross mosaics. The church is decorated with works of art by Beato Angelico, Luca Signorelli and others.
San Domenico Church Cortona
Address, opening hours and entrance fee
Address: Largo Beato Angelico, 1 – 52044 Cortona. Phone: +39 0575 603217. Opening hours: From 10:00 to 12:00 and from 15:00 to 17:00. Entrance fee: Free of charge.
History and Description
The Chiesa di San Domenico was built in the 14th century and restored in 1557. During this reconstruction, much of the original Gothic style was lost.
The church is located at the end of Via Margherita, a street flanked by aediculas depicting the various stages of the Via Crucis (“Stations of the Cross”). These mosaics were created by Gino Severini.
The fresco in the lunette above the portal was painted by Beato Angelico. The work depicts the “Madonna and Child, San Domenico and San Pietro Martire.”
The interior consists of a single nave. The presbytery is higher than the rest of the church.
Highlights include a “Madonna with Child and Saints” by Luca Signorelli, and a “Coronation of the Virgin” by Lorenzo di Nicolò Gerini. It is thanks to a major restoration that the frescoes can be seen again. For a time the church had been completely abandoned and the paintings covered with a layer of paint.