The San Domenico Church in Palermo is considered the second most important church in the city. It is in this church that the city’s most famous residents are buried. Every year on December 8, the Festa dell’Immacolata is celebrated in the square in front of the church.
San Domenico Church Palermo
Address, opening times and ticket price
Address: Piazza San Domenico – 90133 Palermo. Tel: (+39) 091589172 or 0916114314. Opening hours: Monday to Saturday from 09:30 to 13:30. Tourists can visit the church only in groups of at least 25 people. Reservations are mandatory. Tours start at 10.00, 11.00 and 12.00. Entrance fee: In theory it is free, but a donation is urgently requested.
History and description
The San Domenico Church was originally built in the 14th century. The current version of the church dates back to 1726. Since 1853, this church has more or less served as the Palermitan version of the Pantheon in Rome, in that it contains the burial of famous Sicilian writers, artists and politicians.
The facade is divided into three parts by a number of columns. The whole is enlivened by a number of statues and niches. Balustrades connect the two bell towers on the sides to the curved pediment.
The three nave interior has a floor plan in the shape of a Latin cross. There are also several deep side chapels.
What to see
The main attractions of the church are the “Madonna del Rosario” by Vincenzo da Pavia and the “San Domenico” painted by Zoppo di Gangi.
In the Piazza San Domenico in front of the church stands the Baroque Colonna dell’Immacolata. It was placed here in 1726 and was inspired by several Austrian examples. The statues on the base depict two popes, while the corners show four angels. The statue on the column itself has her face turned toward the church. Every year on December 8, the feast of the Immaculate Conception is celebrated by placing bunches of flowers at the base of the statue.