The San Domenico Church and its cloister are located in the Piazza Garibaldi in Pistoia. The church, built in the 13th century, contains some of the burial chapels of members of the Rospigliosi family.
San Domenico Church Pistoia
The address of the Chiesa di San Domenico is Via di San Domenico, 1 – 51100 Pistoia (tel. +39 057328158). Opening hours: Unknown. Entrance fee: Free.
History and description
The San Domenico Monastery and church were built in the second half of the 13th century.
From this time, a sinopia (preparatory drawing) of a fresco, probably made by a pupil of Coppo di Marcovaldo, can still be seen in the chapter house.
In 1512, an extensive renovation began, which affected both the church and the cloister and kept the Dominicans occupied for two centuries.
Later, the cloister was reduced in size and in 1596 Sebastiano Vini was commissioned to paint the 20 lunettes depicting the life of Saint Domenico.
The facade of the church is characterized by a richly decorated portal, to which Giovanni Pisano contributed, among others.
The interior consists of a single nave, with a transept and chapels in the presbytery.
What to see
Both sides of the transept contain tombs of the Rospigliosi family.
The tomb for Filippo Lazzari was made between 1462 and 1464 by Bernardo and Antonio Rossellino.
The not very well preserved frescoes in the sacristy, including a “Repenting San Girolamo” (by Verrocchio or Pollaiolo) and a “Voyage of the Wise Men” (by Bernardo di Stefano Rosselli) from 1477.