The San Domenico Church in Turin was built between 1227 and 1280. This brick church contains early 14th century frescoes and was restored at the beginning of the 20th century. It is the only Gothich church in the city and has a floor below street level.
San Domenico Church Turin
Address: Via San Domenico – Torino. Phone: +39 011 5229711. Opening times: From 07.00 till 12.00 and from 16.00 till 18.30. Ticket price: Free.
History and description
The facade of the Chiesa di San Domenico was only added in 1534.
The Cappella delle Grazie is the only one in Turin with frescoes dating back to the 14th century. On the left wall Christ is depicted, surrounded by the symbols of the Evangelists. The fresco on the right wall depicts “Thomas of Aquino, introducing the commissioners of the chapel to Maria”. The “Annunciation” is in the middle and the apostles are depicted on the lower parts. During a 19th century restoration missing parts were added. The frescoes are attributed to an artist known as Maestro di San Domenico.
The third altar on the right is decorated with a fresco depicting Duke Amedeo IX di Savoia. The fresco, which was painted by Antoine de Lonhy, was taken from the central nave. It was painted after 1472, the year the Duke died. He is depicted with a scepter, symbol of the continuity of power. The use of this imagery can be seen as a kind of criticism, since after the Duke’s death, his widow had usurped the power. In reality, the duke’s successor ought to have been his brother, Filippo di Bresse.
Luigi Michele Barberis designed the Cappella del Rosario in the 18th century. The altar piece, “Madonna del Rosario with the saints Domenico and Caterina di Siena”, was painted by Guercino. The wooden inlay work framing it was the work of Stefano Maria Clemente. It depicts the “Fifteen mysteries of the Rosario”.
Giovanni Spanzotti painted the fresco “Alms of Sant’Antonino Pierozzi” (1528), behind the pulpit. The pulpit itself was also by Stefano Maria Clemente.
Other paintings of note are “The Plague of 1630” by Domenico Corvi, and the “Madonna and San Doenico” by Michele Milocco.