The San Donato Church was the Cathedral of Bagnoregio until the earthquake of 1695 destroyed much of this then center and the San Nicola Church became the new Duomo.
San Donato Church Civita di Bagnoregio
The address of the Chiesa di San Donato is Piazza San Donato – 01022 Civita di Bagnoregio.
History and description
The San Donato Church is built in Romanesque style and is located in the central square of Civita di Bagnoregio. The church was probably built on an already existing pagan temple from the 5th century.
Inside the church you can see a wooden crucifix from the 15th century, made by the workshop of Donatello. There is also a fresco painted by the workshop of Perugino.
Until the earthquake of 1695, the church was the seat of the bishop.
The very first version of the church was probably built in the 6th century.
The most important reconstruction took place at the beginning of the 16th century, when the east wall, the two choirs, the crypt and the main altar were pulled down to be replaced by the current presbytery and the new choir.
Simultaneously, the facade received a Renaissance facelift and was later enriched with three portals.
At the base of the bell tower are two Etruscan sarcophagi.
Opposite the church is the Palazzo Comunale.