The San Felice in Piazza Church in Florence is located just south of the Palazzo Pitti and has a façade designed by Michelozzo. The interior is still decorated with frescoes painted in the 14th century.
San Felice in Piazza Church Florence
Address, opening hours and entrance fee
Address: Piazza San Felice, 5 – 50125 Florence. Telephone: +39 055 221706. Opening hours: From 08.00 to 12.00 and from 16.00 to 18.00. Entrance fee: Free.
The San Felice Church dates from the early Middle Ages. The oldest documented reference to the church dates from the year 1066. However, the present church is the result of a reconstruction from the 14th century. The façade was designed even later, in 1457, by Michelozzo.
Many of the frescoes inside the church were painted in the 14th century. A highlight is a fragment of “The Baptism of Christ” on the right wall.
In the 15th and 16th centuries the side altars were added.
In 1926 the church had to be restored after a fire. The old roof was uncovered and the 16th century windows of the choir were reopened.
Artworks of the San Felice Church of Florence
The first altar along the right wall shows the remains of a fresco. This was probably painted by Niccolò Gerini.
At the fifth altar on the right is a pottery from the beginning of the 16th century. It was made by Andrea della Robbia or by Cieco di Gambassi.
At the sixth altar on the right, a 14th century lunette has been brought to light. It was made by unknown local artists and depicts the Madonna della Cintola (“Madonna of the Belt”).
The Cappella Maggiore was built in the 14th century and refurbished a century later. This chapel is characterized by a triumphal arch and a large bifora. The painted wooden crucifix above the altar is probably the work of (a pupil of) Giotto.
The first altar on the left wall shows a triptych. It is painted with “Events from the lives of the saints Rocco, Antonio Abate and Caterina”. The work is attributed to Botticelli and his pupils.
The triptych at the sixth altar on the left was painted in 1467 by Neri di Bicci. The work has a striking golden background.
At the seventh altar on the left is a painting depicting “San Massimo Supported by San Felice”. It was painted by Giovanni da San Giovanni but the angels were added in 1636 by Volterrano.