The San Fiorenzo Church in Perugia is located in the center of the city. Its façade can be seen in Via Alessi, while the entrance to the monastery is in the Via Antica. A famous painting by Raphael that used to decorate the church can be seen in London’s National Gallery.
San Fiorenzo Church Perugia
The San Fiorenzo Church is only open during mass. The official address is Via della Viola, 1 – Perugia, 06122 Perugia (PG). Tel: 075 5726938.
History and description
There already was a church dedicated to San Fiorenzo in this spot as early as the 8th century.
In the 11th century, the San Fiorenzo church was property of the Order of Cluny. In the 13th century it was run by the Cistercian Order and finally, from 1444, to the Servites of Mary.
Originally built in a Gothic style, it was completely changed during a reconstruction 1763 and 1770.
In the 16th century, the parish used to run a kind of guest house for Jews who wanted to be converted to Christianity.
After the unification of Italy, the convent was used as a school, while today it is used by social institutions.
What to see
The architect Galeazzo Alessi was born in a house near nearby. His tomb can also be seen in the church.
On display is a gonfalone (a pennant attached to the horizontal bar of a cross) made by Benedetto Bonfigli in the 15th century.
There are a number of frescoes in the Mannerist style.
The Morattini organ dates from the 17th century.
The fresco above the main altar, depicting the “Madonna and Child on the Throne” used to grace the nearby alley Vicolo detto della Maria.
The canvas “Madonna Ansidei” painted by Raphael used to grace the church, but was brought to London by Sir Frederic William Burton in the 19th century and is now on display in the National Gallery.