Built in a Romanesque-Gothic style, San Francesco d’Assisi Church is among the most important churches in Brescia. Highlights within the church are some works by local painter Moretto and by Romanino. The large cloister from the end of the 14th century is also very interesting.
San Francesco d’Assisi Church Brescia
Address, opening hours and entrance fee
Address: Via San Francesco d’Assisi, 1 – 25122 Brescia (tel. +39 0302926701). Opening hours: Monday to Saturday from 06.30 to 11.30 and from 16.00 to 19.30;Sunday from 07.30 to 11.30 and from 16.00 to 19.30. Entrance fee: Free of charge.
History and Description
The Chiesa Di San Francesco D’Assisi was built on land donated by the city to the Order after it had mediated a peace between a number of different parties. It was constructed between 1254 and 1265 and consists of three naves.
The façade is characterized by a marble portal, above which a rose window can be seen.
Of the many frescoes that used to adorn the church, only the ones on the right wall have survived. These are mostly from the 14th and 15th centuries.
A corridor at the end of the right nave leads to a small cloister from the late 15th century. The large cloister, constructed in 1394, is also accessible from the right nave.
Works of art
The sacristy was designed by Antonio Zurlengo. It houses a large silver processional cross by Francesco delle Croci (1501).
Near the first altar on the right is a “Santa Margherita of Cortona between Saints Francis and Hieronymus” by Moretto (1530).
The “Mourning for the Dead Christ” between the 2nd and 3rd altars was painted by an unknown student of Giotto. Between the 3rd and 4th altars one can view “Events from the Life of Mary” (14th century), along with a number of angel busts from the same period.
Near the 4th altar one can see a fresco by Romanino, which has “Pentecost” as its theme.
Behind the altar at the end of the nave is a 13th century fresco depicting “St. Peter.”
Romanino painted the panel “Madonna on the Throne with Child and Saints” (1502), which can be seen in the apse. The same painter was responsible for the vault frescoes.
The large “Crucifixion” on gilded wood in the second chapel in the left nave dates from the 14th century.