The San Francesco Church is located at the end of the Via Santucci in Cortona in the province of Arezzo. It is claimed that a splinter of the cross of Jesus is kept in the church.
San Francesco Church Cortona
Address, opening hours and entrance fee
Address: Via Berrettini – 52044 Cortona. Phone: +39 0575 603205. Opening hours: From 09:00 to 18:00. Entrance fee: free of charge.
History and Description
The construction of the church began in 1245. A restoration took place in the 17th century.
Of the original San Francesco Church, the Gothic portal and the left side remain.
One of the main attractions of this church is 10th century Byzantine Reliquary of the Holy Cross made of ivory and silver.
A second highlight is the 14th century Gothic tomb of Bishop Ubertini.
Cigoli painted the “Sant’Antonio and the Miracle of the Mule.”
Bernardino Radi was responsible for the Baroque tabernacle.
Pietro da Cortona painted “The Annunciation of the Lord, ” Raffaello Vanni the “Nativity,” and Ciro Ferri was responsible for the “Madonna in Glory among the Saints.”