The San Francesco Church is located in the Piazza Indipendenza in Grosseto. Built in the 13th century, it shows influences of Gothic architecture. Highlights include the lunette above the portal and a 13th-century crucifix.
San Francesco Church Grosseto
The address of the Chiesa di San Francesco is Piazza San Francesco, 2 – Grosseto, Italy. Telephone: +39 056422282. Opening hours: Unknown. Entrance fee: Free.
The Chiesa di San Francesco was originally a Benedictine monastery dedicated to San Fortunato. During the 13th century, however, this monastery, along with the adjoining cloister, was handed over to the Franciscans.
The façade is extremely austere, but has a beautiful portal crowned by a lunette with a fresco protected by a wooden tabernacle.
At the top of the façade there is a large central rose window.
The church consists of a single nave. The supporting beams are visible. Arched windows illuminate the frescoes, which were created by artists from the Sienese school.
What to see
A highlight is a 13th-century wooden crucifix, attributed at times to Duccio di Boninsegna and at other times to Maestro di Badia a Isola, and counted among the most important Tuscan works of art of the time.
The Sant’Antonio Chapel (right) was added in the 17th century and is decorated with frescoes by painters Antonio and Francesco Nasini di Casteldelpiano.
Pozzo della Bufala
The newly restored cloister is famous for the Pozzo della Bufala, which was commissioned by Ferdinando dei Medici in 1590. Some tombstones and fragments of frescoes can be seen on the walls.