The Church of San Francesco di Paola ai Monti is the national church of the Calabrian community in Rome. It is located in the square of the same name. At the moment the church is closed.
San Francesco di Paola ai Monti Church Rome
The Chiesa di San Francesco di Paola ai Monti is currently closed. The address is Via di San Francesco di Paola, 10 – 00184 Rome. Rione: Monti. Phone: +39 064880250. Bus: 75, N2. Subway: Cavour.
The Chiesa di San Francesco di Paolo ai Monti was built in two stages, the first of which, between 1624 and 1630, was under the direction of the architect Orazio Torrani. The work was completed 100 years later under Barattoni.
The interior of the church consists of a single nave with three chapels on either side.
The nickname “de’ Calabresi” is due to the fact that the church and its cloister were built by Giovanni Pizzullo della Regina, a native of Calabria, and dedicated to Francesco da Paola, founder of the Order of Miniaturists (Frati Minimi).
What to see
The facade consists of 2 levels, the lower part of which is made of Travertine marble and the upper, which recedes slightly backwards, of simple plasterwork. The lower part has a portal, and two niches between pillars decorated with cherubs.
The coats of arms of the Aldobrandini family on the facade refer to Olimpia Aldobrandini, who financed the construction.
The main altar was the work of Giovanni Antonio De Rossi.
The fresco cycle “Miracles of San Francesco da Paola” is by Giuseppe Chiari.
The ceiling painting in the sacristy is themed “The Apparition of the Virgin to San Francesco Da Paola.”
The busts of Christ and the Madonna shown in two niches originally stood in the destroyed San Salvatore ad Tres Imagines Church. This church was destroyed in 1884 when the Via Cavour was constructed.
As the street level was lowered a great deal, the heavy retaining wall that makes the church so picturesque also needed to be constructed.
Collegio dei Frati Minori
The building to the left of the facade of the church is the Collegio dei Frati Minori (“College of the Order of Friars Minor” or of the “Franciscan Order”).
The votive column in front of the building is also dedicated to this order.