The San Frediano Church is one of the oldest churches in Pisa. The facade is a typical example of Romanesque architecture. The biggest attraction of this university church is a 13th century wooden crucifix.
San Frediano Church Pisa
Address, opening hours and entrance fee
Address: Piazza San Frediano, 5 – Pisa. Phone: Unknown. Opening times: From 09.00 till 12.30 and from 16.00 till 18.00. Admission: Free.
History and description
The original Church of San Frediano was built between the 6th and 7th century. The only element left of this early church is its Romanesque facade with Pisan influences. The lower part of this three-level facade is characterized by seven blind arches enclosing diamond shaped decorations. (Similar ornaments can be seen at the Cathedral.)
The interior consists of three naves and is only sparsely decorated. The three side chapels were added during a 17th century reconstruction.
The most interesting work of art is a painted wooden crucifix, which date back to the 13th century. The artist is unknown. The crucifix is located in the first chapel on the left, known as the Cappella Pesciolini.
The painting “Adoration of the Kings” was painted by the local artist Aurelio Lomi (1556-1624).
The frescoes decorating the dome were painted by a painter from Siena, called Rutilio Manetti (1571-1639).
The marble confessional on the left dates back to the 18th century.
San Frediano was an hermit of Irish descent, who in the 4th century had become bishop of Lucca.
Nowadays the church functions as the University church.