The San Geremia Church (or Santuario di Lucia) and its imposing bell tower are located in the sestiere Cannaregio in Venice. It is a pilgrimage destination, since Saint Lucia of Syracuse is buried inside the church. The facade overlooks the Canal Grande.
San Geremia Church Venice
Address: Chiesa di San Geramia, Campo San Geremia, 334 – 30121 Venezia. Phone: +39 041 716181. Opening hours: From 09.30 till 13.00 and from 14.00 till 17.00. Entrance: Free. Feast day: The festa di Santa Lucia is celebrated on December 13th.
History and description
The original church dedicated to San Geremia was built in the 12th century. The bell-tower stems from this period. The present building is the result of a reconstruction by Carlo Corbellini in 1753.
The facades, one on the Grand Canal and one on the Fondamanta de Ca Labia, were reconstructed in 1871.
The first version of the Santario di Santa Lucia was located across the canal, but was destroyed in 1861 to create space for the Sant Lucia railway station.
The inscription on the facade says: “Saint Lucy, Virgin of Syracuse, Martyr of Christ, rests inside this temple. Ask light and peace for Italy and the world”. The chapel in which she is buried was constructed in 1863. Although her mortal remains have been here for centuries, the city of Syracuse still requests that she is returned to her place of birth.
In 1981 thieves managed to break into the church and steal Saint Lucy‘s tomb. Their ransom request was denied, however. The police managed to find and retrieve the saint’s remains, coincidentally on her feast day, December 13th.