The San Giacomo Maggiore Basilica in Bologna is dedicated to the Apostle James the Greater. It is located in the in Via Zamboni in the city center and was built in the 13th century. The paintings and other decorations in this church were created by the most famous local artists of the 15th and 16th centuries. The highlight is the Santa Cecilia Oratory, also known as the Sistine Chapel of Bologna.
San Giacomo Maggiore Basilica Bologna
Address: Via Zamboni, 15 – Bologna. Tel. 051 225970. Entrance: Free. Opening hours: Every day from 08.00 to 12.00 and from 15.30 to 18.00. (Note that prices and times may be subject to change.)
History and description
Construction of the church began in 1267, a work that, however, was not completed until 1315. A complete reconstruction took place in the 15th century, led by the architect Pietro da Brensa.
The bell tower of the San Giacomo Maggiore Basilica dates back to 1471. A few years later the portico, considered among the masterpieces of Bolognese Renaissance architecture, was added. It was probably designed byTommaso Filippi.
What to see
The Poggi Chapel was largely painted by Pellegrino Tibaldi.
Other artists whose work can be seen in the church include Francesco Francia, Lorenzo Costa, Cesare Tamarocci, Gian Maria Chiodarolo and Amico Aspertini.
Cappella di Santa Cecilia
The biggest attraction of the church is the Santa Cecilia Chapel, built against the back of the church itself. It is painted with a fresco cycle dedicated to the life of the saint. The official name of the chapel is Oratorio di Santa Cecilia e Valeriano.