The San Giacomo di Rialto Church is located near the bridge of the same name and the famous fish market in Venice‘s sestiere San Polo. Its main attractions are the sundial and the Gothic entrance portal.
San Giacomo di Rialto Church Venice
Address, opening hours and entrance fee
Address: Campo San Giacomo di Rialto – 30125. Opening hours: From 10:00 am to 12:30 pm. Entrance fee: Free of charge.
History and description
The oldest references to the San Giacomo di Rialto Church date back to 1152. However, according to tradition, it was built in 421, the year in which the city itself was also founded.
This typically medieval church is usually called San Giacometto because of its small size.
The original Latin floor plan was transformed into a Greek one after renovations in 1531 and 1601. The three naves are all of equal width and the apse has three chapels.
The interior is characterized by two small niches, each with an altar on the sides. Six columns separate the naves.
The church is closely associated with the market. This is confirmed by an inscription on the apse exhorting merchants to display their wares in an honest manner.
A number of altars in the church was made with money donated by the various guilds. The main altar was paid for by the Arte dei Casaroli (“Grocers Guild”). The Sant’Antonio Abate Altar (left) was paid for by the Gold and Silver Workers, while the right altar was financed by the Garbellatori (“Grain Workers”) and the Lagatori (“Packers”).
The façade is mainly characterized by a large 18th century 24-hour clock. The relief depicts the “Madonna with Cupid.” Five Gothic columns support the portico. The bell gable was built in 1792 to replace the bell tower damaged in a fire in 1514.
The dome is located directly above the intersection of the nave and the transept.