The Church of San Giacomo della Vittoria is closely linked to the history of Alessandria. It was constructed in the 15th century, after a victory over French troops. Construction of the church was largely paid for with the spoils of this war.
San Giacomo della Vittoria Church Alessandria
The address of the Chiesa di San Giacomo della Vittoria is Via San Giacomo della Vittoria, 56. The church is only open on special occasions. For information, call +39 0131 512239.
History and description
On July 25, 1391, French troops led by Giovanni III d’Armagnac attacked Alessandria. The inhabitants of the city, led by Andrea Trotti, with the help of the Veronese warlord Jacopo Dal Verme, managed to resist the French and win the battle.
Since July 25 is the feast day of San Giacomo and the construction of the church was largely paid for with the spoils of war, the church came to be called San Giacomo della Vittoria (“Saint James of Victory”).
The construction of the church was completed in the early 15th century. Like almost all churches in Alessandria, it underwent many renovations and over the centuries was used for other functions (storage and hospital, to name a few).
The attached convent served for a time as a Carabiniere barracks before being given to the Capuchin Order. Today it is administered by the Order of the Servites.
What to see
- On either side of the entrance are two bas-reliefs depicting saints.
- Highlights of the interior is a 14th-century fresco depicting the “Madonna del Latte”.