The San Giorgio Basilica in Cuggiono in the province of Milano was constructed in the 17th century. The facade, and several artworks inside the church, are neoclassical.
Basilica of San Giorgio Cuggiono
Address: Piazza San Giorgio – Cuggiono. Phone: +39 02 974062. Opening times: . Ticket price: Free. (Note that prices and times may be subject to change.)
History and description
The Chiesa di San Giorgio was constructed after a design by Francesco Maria Richini. It was built between 1606 and 1633, after an earlier San Giorgio Martire Church, in a different spot, had become too small for the congregation. In order to pay for its construction, the Archbishop Federico Borromeo, obliged Cuggiono’s landowners to contribute funds.
The church was dedicated in 1753, 120 years after the work was finished.
In 1846, the facade received a neoclassical facelift from the architect Giovanni Battista Bossi.
The pronaos was added in 1902.
What to see
The Cappella della Madonna del Carmelo is decorated with 17th century frescoes by Morazzone.
Most of the frescoes inside the church were painted between 1910 and 1912, by Luigi Morgari. “The Glory of St. George” graces the cupola.
There are several works by the local sculptor Carlo Garavaglia. These include the walnut cover of the baptismal font and the gilded tabernacle. The cover of the baptismal font depicts events from the life of Jesus.
The neoclassical high altar was the work of Leopoldo Pollack.
Pietro Gilardi painted the “Immaculate Conception” in 1717.