San Giorgio Church Oriolo Romano
History and description
The San Giorgio Church was built to replace an older church, which had become too small for the city’s population. Construction of this late Baroque church began in 1671, to a design by Giuseppe Barbieri. Completion took place much later, in 1756.
Although its original design was characterized by a Latin cross, the present church has a Greek cross floor plan and consists of three naves.
The antique baptismal font in the first chapel still survives from the original church.
Another highlight is the altar piece, “Saint George on his Horse, Killing the Dragon.”
The Chiesa di San Giorgio is one of the top 10 attractions in Oriolo Romano.