The San Giovanni in Valle Church in Verona was built in the early Middle Ages. The facade dates back to the 14th century. Both in the church itself and in the crypt there used to be frescoes, but they have almost completely faded. Highlights are the two sarcophagi in this crypt.
San Giovanni in Valle Church Verona
Address, opening hours and entrance fee
Address: Via S. Giovanni in Valle – 37129 Verona. Telephone: +39 0458030119. Opening Hours: Saturday from 17.00 to 19.00. Sunday from 08.00 to 12.00.
The San Giovanni in Valle Church dates back to the early Middle Ages. It was built in the 9th century and completely reconstructed after an earthquake in 1120. The architectural style is Romanesque.
The facade is made of tuff stone and dates from the 14th century. The portal rests on red marble columns. The painting is by Stefano da Zevio.
To the right of the facade, the remaining wings of the cloister can be seen. The cloister is characterised by semi-circular arches and red marble columns.
The bell tower consists of two parts. The lower part dates from Romanesque times, while the upper part was added in the 16th century.
Apses and presbytery
The apses are decorated with carved plants and hunting scenes. The southern apse has a different design. It is characterised by stripes of alternating tuff stone and brick. The pillars have Ionic capitals. The highlight is a lion laying its legs on acanthus leaves.
The presbytery next to the church still shows some remains of the original 12th century design.
The interior consists of three naves. These are separated from each other by alternating pillars and red marble columns with Corinthian capitals.
Of the original frescoes painted between the 12th and 15th centuries, only a few fragments remain.
The crypt dates from the 5th century and was built on an older necropolis. The crypt also has three naves. The first part dates from the time after Charlemagne. The rear part is older and here are two Roman sarcophagi made of Greek marble.
Near the left wall there is an early Christian sarcophagus called the Arca dei Santi Simone and Giuda. This dates from the second half of the 4th century. The monument is decorated with events from the Gospels and the Old Testament. The figures of the two apostles themselves were sculpted on the lid in 1395.
The sarcophagus along the right wall is of pagan origin and dates from the 3rd century. It depicts a wedding couple in a shell, with a landscape underneath. The two Roman philosopher sculptures in the corners were adapted during the Middle Ages to depict St Peter and Paul.
The frescoes in the crypt have also faded over the years, although some of the frescoes of the Altichiero workshop are still visible.