San Girolamo della Carità Church Rome

The San Girolamo della Carità Church stands in the Regola district of Rome. The facade was designed by Carlo Rainaldi. Inside the church you van see an altar designed by the same artist as well as an entire chapel constructed by Borromini.

San Girolamo della Carità Church Rome

Address, opening hours, tickets

The address of the Chiesa di San Girolamo della Carità is Via di Monserrato, 62/A – Rome (tel. +39 066879786). Bus: 23, 46, 62, 64, 116, 280, 916, 916F, N5, N10, N15, N20. Opening hours: Sunday: 10:30 a.m. Admission is free.

History and Description

The church dates back to the 4th century and was built on the site where St. Hieronymus was living in the year 382. In the 16th century this house came into the hands of a charitable institution. San Filippo Neri lived between 1551 and 1583 in a house next to the church. Around 1655 the church was rebuilt by Domenico Castelli.

What to see

The Baroque facade dates from 1660 and was designed by Carlo Rainaldi.

The floor plan is that of a Latin cross, with a single nave and a wooden ceiling.

The Cappella Spada was designed by Borromini and has walls decorated with inlaid marble. Constructed between 1634 and 1660, it was meant to be a mausoleum for the Spada family.

The Cappella Antamori was designed by Filippo Juvarra. It is the only work in Rome by this architect, who worked mainly in and around Turin. Pierre Legros made the marble statue of Filippo Neri in this chapel.

The main altar was the work of Carlo Rainaldi.

Near the main altar there is a painting themed the “Communion of Saint Hieronymus.” The original of this work was painted by Domenichino and can be seen in the Pinacotheque of the Vatican Museums. The copy in the San Girolamo della Carità church was painted by Camuccini.

Via di Monserrato, 62/A – Rome

Follow by Email
WhatsApp