The San Giuseppe a Capo le Case Church is located in the Via Francesco Crispi in the Colonna district of Rome‘s historic center. The adjacent convent has been converted into the Galleria Comunale d’Arte Moderna di Roma Capitale. Inside the church itself is a Holy Staircase.
San Giuseppe a Capo le Case Church Rome
Address, hours, tickets
The address of the Chiesa di San Giuseppe a Capo le Case is Via Francesco Crispi – Rome (tel. +39 06483423). Bus: 52, 53, 61, 62, 71, 80, 95, 116, 117, 119, 492. Opening hours: Unknown. Entrance fee: Free.
History and Description
What is now the heart of Rome, when the Chiesa di San Giuseppe a Capo le Case was built, was still an urban area of a predominantly rural character. When the Via Sistina and the Via Felice were constructed, people began to flock to the district, which in those days meant that churches needed to be built.
In 1598, the Carmelite monastic order began building the church and its convent.
In 1870, after the unification of Italy, the convent became state property. It was converted into Museo Artistico-Industriale, which was later renamed the Galleria Comunale d’Arte Moderna.
Not much remains of the works of art that used to grace the church itself. Napoleon had some paintings taken to France, and the Italian State later confiscated some works as well. Still other works of art were taken to other churches.
Most of the paintings now on display in the church were painted in the early 20th century by a local artist called Cleto Luzzi.
The church also has a smaller version of the Holy Stairs at St. John of Lateran Church. This one has 28 marble steps and was designed by Tommaso Mattei in 1717. As with the Scala Santa itself, one can get their sins absolved by climbing the steps on their knees.