The San Lio Church is located in the sestiere Castello in Venice. The main attractions in this church, originally built in the 9th century, are paintings by Tiepolo and Tiziano Vecelli. The painter Canaletto is buried inside the church.
San Lio Church Venice
Address, opening hours and ticket price
Address : Campo San Lio – Castello 12 – Venice (tel. +39 041 2413817). Opening hours: Monday to Saturday, from 09:00 to 16:30. Entrance fee: Free of charge.
History and description
The San Lio Church was founded in the 9th century by the Badoer family. Originally it was dedicated to Santa Caterina d’Alessandria.
After a major renovation in 1054, the church was rededicated and named after San Leone IX, the pope who had helped the Venetians in the battle against Aquileia.
After a smaller restoration in the 15th century, another, more radical renovation took place between the 17th and 18th centuries. This ensured that from then on the church no longer consisted of three naves but of one large auditorium. The beautiful organ was also placed in the church in those years.
The 11th century bell tower was partially destroyed during this reconstruction. This campanile was originally separated from the church by a house. Very little is left of the original construction.
What to see
Tiziano Vecellio painted the “Apostle James” (1540), while Tiepolo was responsible for the “Angels and Virtues” ceiling painting.
One of the most important chapels is the one in the right apse. It was built for the aristocratic Gussoni family and contains the tomb of the famous painter Canaletto. The altar is decorated with a bas-relief depicting a “Pietà and four Saints”, probably by T. Lombardo. Canaletto had also been baptized in the church.
The sepulchral monument for Admiral Andrea Pisani (1662-1718) is next to the sacristy entrance.