Grosseto‘s San Lorenzo Cathedral stands in the city’s central square, Piazza Dante. It was built on the ruins of an older church. The highlight is a baptismal font from the 15th century.
San Lorenzo Cathedral Grosseto
The Cathedral is locatd in the Piazza Dante, but the official address of the Duomo di Grosseto is Piazza del Duomo, 58100 Grosseto – Italy. Telephone: +39 0564 20143. Admission is free. The nearest bus stop is Grosseto Gramsci.
History San Lorenzo Cathedral Grosseto
The Cathedral of Grosseto is dedicated to the city’s patron saint. The church has been restored and renovated often, but is still among the most beautiful attractions of the provincial capital.
It was constructed on the ruins of the ancient Santa Maria Assunta Basilica, which was the bishop’s seat from 1138.
The church is built in a Gothic style. Construction began in 1294. The architect was Sozzo di Pace Rustichini.
The bell tower is an addition from 1402.
Modifications, which affected both the structure and its decorations, took place in the 19th century.
The current façade dates from the years between 1840 and 1845, although the symbols of the Evangelists depicted on the capitals crowning the pillars remain from the original church.
The wide rose window is topped by a tympanum.
Although the portal on the right, with two Gothic biforas, dates from the 15th century, the lunette and tympanum were only added in 1897 by sculptor Leopoldo Maccari.
Maccari placed the sculpture group “Madonna and Child between Two Angels” and the two statues of saints in Gothic niches on the side pillars.
The Roman column on the right corner of the façade was used in the Middle Ages to publish announcements on it.
In 1911, the bell tower was rebuilt.
The floor plan is a Latin cross, with three naves separated by pillars.
Works of art San Lorenzo Cathedral
The large baptismal font was made by Antonio Ghini in 1470. Its triangular base extends into a basin held up by three dolphins, which is decorated on the outside with flowers and fruit and on the inside with lobsters, frogs and fish.
Ghini also created the richly decorated altar retable of the “Madonna delle Grazie”. The painting itself was the work of Matteo di Giovanni in 1470.
The modern altar in the right transept was created by sculptors Jardella and Martinelli.
The Crucifixion was made by a representative of the Sienese School and dates from the 15th century.
The Gothic windows in the right wall were made in the 15th century by Benvenuto di Giovanni, who was from Siena.
The lunette features a “Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane”.