The San Lorenzo Church in Verona was built in the 12th century on top of an older structure. The narrow façade of the church is sandwiched between two round towers. The main sights are the matroneum and a painting by Domenico Brusasorci at the main altar.
San Lorenzo Church Verona
Address, opening hours and entrance fee
Address: Corso Cavour, 30 – 37121 Verona . Telephone: +39 045592813. Opening Hours: From 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sundays and public holidays from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. Closed: The church is not open to tourists during mass. Admission: There is a combi-ticket for the most important churches in the city.
History and description
The San Lorenzo Church was built in the 12th century. The architectural style is Romanesque. The church was built on the site of an early Christian basilica.
The church was restored both in 1877 and after the Second World War.
Like most Romanesque constructions in Verona, the facade is characterised by alternating stripes of yellowish ochre tuff stone and red brick. In between there are several rows of stone laid according to a herringbone motif.
The facade is sandwiched between two massive round towers. These originally gave access to the matroneum (a balcony in a church, where women could sit and attend mass).
The protiro and bell tower date from the 2nd half of the 15th century.
The interior of the church consists of three naves. The matroneum is located above the outer two and overlooks the central nave.
Works of art
Near the main altar is a painting by Domenico Brusasorci depicting the “Madonna and Child appearing to the Saints” (1566).
The “David” in the chapel on the left is painted by Nicolò Giolfino.
There are a number of frescoes from the 13th and 14th centuries depicting angels and saints.
In the courtyard giving access to the church, fragments of the ornaments of the early Christian basilica can be seen.