The San Lorenzo Martire Church, like the entire city of San Lorenzo Nuovo, was built in the 18th century, although some of the artworks inside the church itself are much older.
San Lorenzo Martire Church San Lorenzo Nuovo
Address, opening hours and admission
Address: Piazza Europa, 10, 01020 San Lorenzo. Phone: +39 0763 727058. Opening hours: Unknown. Admission: Free.
History and description
The Chiesa Collegiata di San Lorenzo Martire was built in the 18th century. However, many of the works of art that can be seen there are from the original church, which was in the old San Lorenzo, closer to the Lake Bolsena. The inhabitants had had to flee this municipality after the rising water level in the lake hadmade the area swampier, which had led to deadly outbreaks of malaria.
The main attraction is a 12th century painted crucifix. Since 1778, this has been carried through the town every 15 years in a solemn procession. This event is of course accompanied by many festivals.
Another attraction is a bust of Pope Pius VI made by Canova.
Two paintings by Jacopo Zucchi fdating back to the 16th century were given to the town by Pope Pius VI and can be seen in the church. They depict the “Assumption of the Virgin” and the “Resurrection”.
The austere façade designed by Pavone is characterized by an entrance gate decorated with the Pope’s coat of arms. Next to this gate is a commemorative plaque, referring to the passage of the French troops when they carried off the Pope.