San Macuto Church Rome
Address, hours, tickets
The address of the Chiesa di San Macuto is Via del Seminario, 120 – Rome. Bus: 51, 62, 63, 81, 83, 85, 117, 160, 492, 628, N12, N25, N4; N5, N6. Opening hours and entrance fee: The church cannot be visited.
History San Macuto Church.
The San Macuto Church already existed in the 12th century.
In 1279, it was given to the Domenican Order and in 1538 it came into the hands of the Confraternita dei Bergamaschi. At that time, the church was still dedicated to the Saints Bartolomeo and Alessandro, the patron saints of Bergamo.
Between 1577 and 1579, a major renovation took place, to a design by Francesco da Volterra. The facade had already been renovated in 1560, by Francesco Albarto de Galvani.
In 1726, the Jesuits took over the church and from then on it was dedicated to San Macuto.
The facade consists of two levels. Most notable is the serliana near the upper part.
The interior consists of a single nave.
What to see
Near the side altars are two paintings by Michelangelo Cerruti.