The San Martino Church is located in the square of the same name in Bologna. Highlights include a painting by Paolo Uccello and a terracotta figurine of the “Madonna del Carmine” created by Jacopo della Quercia.
San Martino Church Bologna
The Basilica di San Martino Maggiore is located in the Piazza di San Martino. The official address is Via Oberdan 25 – 40126 Bologna. Phone: +39 051 234662. Opening times: From 08.00 till 12.00 and from 16.00 till 19.00. Entrance: Free.
History and Description
Built in 1227, the church was entrusted to the Order of Carmelites in 1293. Between the 14th and 16th centuries, a number of renovations took place. The facade was restored in 1879, to a design by Giuseppe Modonesi.
The interior of the church shows Gothic forms, while the first chapel on the left shows typical Tuscan influences.
The church features a beautiful portal on the right side. This is called the Portale dei Boncompagni and is graced with a lunette decorated with a relief made by Francesco Manzini in 1531.
Paolo Uccello painted the “Natività” in 1437. This work is considered one of the few examples of the early Tuscan Renaissance in Emilia-Romagna.
Jacopo della Quercia was responsible for the earthenware “Madonna del Carmine” placed on a small pedestal.
Girolamo da Sermoneta made the altarpiece of the main altar “Enthroned Madonna and Saints” in 1548.
The first chapel on the right is decorated with reliefs by the hand of Bernardono da Milano. The altarpiece depicting the “Adoration of the Three Kings” was made by Girolamo da Carpi.
The chapel at the end of the nave is richly decorated with Baroque forms to a design by Alfonso Torreggiani.