The San Michele Church in Turin takes up part of a triangular space between the Piazza Cavour, the Via San Massimo and the Via Giolitti. Its facade is placed thus that it faces the entrance to the Via delle Rosine. Since 1967, the church has been following the Byzantine rite.
San Michele Church Turin
Address: Via Giovanni Giolitti, 44 – Torino. Phone: +39 011 348 8895146. Opening times: From 11.00 till 13.00 and from 17.00 till 19.00 (Sundays from 09.30 till 12.00 and from 16.00 till 19.00). Entrance fee: Free.
History and description
It is here, at the northern part of the Piazza Cavour, that the walls of the 17th century expansion toward the river Po were placed.
The San Michele Church was constructed in 1784, for the Trinitarian Order. Both church and convent were designed by Pietro Bonvicini, who was a student of Bernardo Vittone. It was part of a project that included the entire block.
When Napoleon forbade monastic orders, in the early 19th century, the Trinitarians had to abandon the church.
During World War II, the church was seriously damaged. After the restoration, in 1965, it was given to the Albanese community. There are some 4000 ethnic Albanians living in or around Turin.
Like all Byzantine churches, the Chiesa di San Michele has an iconostasis between the nave and the altar area.