San Nazaro in Brolo Basilica Milan
Address: Piazza San Nazaro in Brolo , 5 – 20122 Milano (MI) (tel. +39 0258307719). Opening times: Mondays to Saturdays from 09:00 till 12:00 and from 15:30 till 17:30; Sundaus from 16:00 till 17:00. Ticket price: Free entrance.
History and description
The Santi Apostoli and Nazaro Basilica was founded as a result of an initiative by Bishop Ambrosius. The original name was Basilica Apostolorum (“of the Apostles”), which was changed to the present one in 396. Of the early Christian basilica, but few traces remain.
In 1075, after a fire, the church was reconstructed, with a Romanesque architecture.
The church has a Latin cross floor plan with a 56 meter long nave.
The original facade was hidden when the Mausoleo Trivulzio was constructed. Gian Giacomo Trivulzio (1440-1518) was an Italian aristocrat and military commander. He also collected artworks, especially by the Milanese painter Bramantino. It was Bramantino who, in 1512, designed the octagonal mausoleum.
What to see
The reliquary of San Nazaro and the shrine of Manlia Dealia are located at the intersection of nave and transept. The reliquary is made of silver, with some strands of gold. There are also some relics of the apostles John, Thomas and Andrew.
The church has two organs, one in the nave and one in the Santa Caterina Chapel. This early 16th century chapel was designed by Antonio da Lonate, who was inspired by Bramante.
The high relief wooden nativity scene, which occupies a permanent spot inside the church, was made by the German sculptor Adam Kraft (1460-1509).
In the courtyard behind the apse, there are some early Christian and medieval tombs.