Built in the 12th century, the San Niccolò Church is the oldest church in Arcidosso. The Romanesque architectural style was consolidated during renovations in the 1930s. The church consists of three naves and has a basilical floor plan.
San Niccolò Church Arcidosso
The earliest references to the Pieve di San Niccolò date back to 1144. The church was founded by the San Salvatore monks and was originally locatred near the Santa Mustiola Church near the suburb of Bagnoli.
The church is dedicated to San Nicola di Bari, the patron saint of Arcidosso.
The small church was enlarged at the beginning of the 17th century by merging it with the adjacent Santa Croce Church. After the expansion, the church consisted of three naves.
New restorations in the 30’s of the 20th century restored the original Romanesque facade.
Traces of the portal of the old church can still be seen on the right side of the façade.
The holy water font at the entrance dates from 1603 and is by local sculptor Pietro Amati.
At the end of the side naves are two altars. The first is dedicated to the Madonna di Loreto, the second to Sant’Antonio di Padova.
The crucifix at the main altar probably dates from the 16th century.