The San Nicolò Cathedral is the most important church in Taormina. Because of its merlons and the massive bell tower it is reminiscent of a fortress. Its best known work of art is a polyptych by Antonello de Saliba.
San Nicolò Cathedral Taormina
Address: Piazza del Duomo – Taormina. Openign hours: 09.00 till 20.00. Entrance: Free.
History and description
The Cathedral of Taormina was built in the 15th century. It was constructed on top of the ruins of a much smaller medieval church, which was dedicated to San Nicola di Bari.
The church has a Latin cross floor plan and three naves. The central nave is delineated by three pink marble columns on each side, the capitals of which are decorated with leaf and fish scale motifs. Each side aisle is flanked by three minor altars.
The facade is characterized by a large rose window. The main door was renovated in 1636. The side door on the left dates back to the 15th and the one on the right to the 16th century.
The most important work of art inside the church is a 16th century polyptych by Antonello (or Antonio) de Saliba. The woodwork inlaying for this work, as for several of his tryptichs, was done by his father. Before it got its present home, the work was in the former San Sebastiano Church.