The San Paolo Church stands on the Via San Paolo in the center of Assisi and is one of the oldest churches in the city. It is, unfortunately, rarely open. The most striking aspect of this church is the fresco above the entrance gate.
San Paolo Church Assisi
Address, opening hours and entrance fee
Address: Via San Paolo, 5 – Assisi. The church is almost always closed.
History and Description
The San Paolo Church was founded in 1071 by the Benedictine Abbot Aginaldo and is currently maintained by the Brotherhood of Saint Rufino.
The façade is characterized by a large entrance, with a late 16th century fresco painted by Dono Doni above it. However, of the “Three Saints” (Paolo, Benedetto and Lorenzo Giustiniani) that the painting is supposed to depict, only two are visible. The coats of arms accompanying the fresco are those of the Monks of San Giorgio in Alga.
The entrance is on the right side.
The interior consists of a single nave divided into seven bays by columns. The columns are probably from of Roman origin.
Matteo da Gualdo was the painter of the “Madonna with Child and Saints Lucia and Ansano” (1475), which is located to the left of the entrance.
From 1571 it was the church of the shoemakers’ guild. Notched into the brick floor are images of a sole, an awl and a shoemaker’s knife, along with two swords, attributed to St. Paul.