The San Pier Maggiore Church is located in the center of Pistoia. Highlight of this 8th century church is its beautiful, although never completely finished facade.
San Pier Maggiore Church Pistoia
The address of the Chiesa di San Pier Maggiore is Piazzetta San Pietro – Pistoia (tel. +39 0573). Opening hours: Unknown. Entrance fee: Free.
History and Description
The San Pier Maggiore Church dates back to the 8th century, when the Lombards held power in the area.
Extensive renovations took place in the 11th century (when the church was enlarged) and in the 17th century (restoration of the interior).
In 1091, a monastery was attached to the church. Here the Benedictine Cenobites from Campanelliana were housed.
The facade was never completed and is characterized by the antique Romanesque style.
The 13th century architrave above the wide central entrance door was probably made by Guido da Como. Depicted is “Jesus handing the Keys to St. Peter, along with Mary and several apostles”.
Almost nothing remains of the medieval paintings that used to adorn the interior.
There are two panels painted by Gerini and Ghirlandaio.
In 1640, during a restoration, the church was completely renovated, on baroque lines.
Today the church is no longer used as such. The convent houses a secondary school and the matroneum (which can be reached through the entrance to the school) houses a collection of plaster sculptures by Andrea Lippi, a local sculptor Pistoia who died in 1916.