The San Pietro della Spina Church of Assisi is located just south of the suburb of Rivotorto. This church was once restored by St. Francis himself and then allowed to fall into ruin again.
San Pietro della Spina Church Assisi (Rivotorto)
History and description
Originally constructed in the 11th century, the San Pietro della Spina Church was restored by St. Francis, in 1208. After this, the church was forgotten and left to abandon.
Since it was hardly ever mentioned in official documents, it took a long time before historians managed to figure out where exactly it used to be.
The search was made more difficult, since it had been incorporated into a farmhouse. Even now, what is left of the church is owned by a local family that uses it for storing agricultural equipment.