San Polo Church Venice

The San Polo Church is located in the sestiere of the same name in Venice. The church was built in the 9th century, but reconstructed several times over the centuries. On display are works of art by Veronese, Tintoretto and father and son Tiepolo. The portal is by Bartolomeo Bon.

San Polo Church Venice

Address, opening times and entrance fee

Address : Salizzada San Polo – San Polo 2102 – Venice (tel. +39 041 2750462). Opening hours: Monday to Saturday from 10:00 to 17:00. Closed: Sunday, January 1, Easter, August 15, December 25. Entrance fee: 3 Euro (discount 1 , 50 Euro). Chorus Pass is valid. Public transportation: Line 1, N (stop S. Stae).

History and description

San Polo Church Venice
San Polo Church

Founded in the 9th century, the San Polo Church is dedicated to St. Paul. The two lions on which the columns of the bell tower rest probably already existed when the first version of the church was constructed.

In the 15th century, Gothic elements, including the monophoras and the portal by Bartolomeo Bon, were added to the original design.

A major renovation under the direction of Davide Rossi took place in 1804. In the process, the church received a neo-classical facelift.

This restoration was recently largely undone. During this last intervention, the original ceiling in the shape of a ship’s hull was uncovered. The presbytery and its apse wer also restored.

Works of art, what to see

Jacopo Tintoretto painted the “Last Supper” and the “Assumption of Mary,” respectively on the inside of the fa├žade and to the right of the first altar.

The decorations in the presbytery are by Jacopo Palma il Giovane.

The Cappella del Sacramento was designed by Lombardo and decorated with frescoes painted in the 18th century by Salviati.

“The Marriage of the Virgin” was produced by Paolo Veronese.

The painting “The Virgin Appears to San Giovanni Nepomuk” near the second altar in the left nave was painted by Giambattista Tiepolo in 1754.

The 18th century “Oratory of the Crucifixion” was entirely decorated by his son Giandomenico Tiepolo. It includes the 14 stages of the Stations of the Cross, which he worked on from 1749 to 1750.

Salizzada San Polo – San Polo 2102 – Venice

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.