The San Rocco Church is located in the Piazza dell’Aia in the small town of Celano in Abruzzo.
San Rocco Church Celano
Address: Piazza dell’Aia – Celano. Ticket price: Free.
History and description
The Chiesa di San Rocco was commissioned by Costanza Piccolomini in 1574, next to the hospital built by her father Innico in 1566.
The rather unadorned facade is characterized by two pillars on the sides. The tympanum was added in the 18th century. A window in the shape of a four-leaf clover can be seen above the entrance entrance door from the 17th century.
The interior had to be almost entirely restored after the 1915 earthquake.
In the Piazza Aia square in front of the church is a 1982 bronze triptych made by Angelo Canevari, depicting events from the lives of St Francis and Blessed Tommaso of Celano.