The San Rocco Church is located next to the Scuola Grande di San Rocco in Venice. The church was built in the 15th century, but later both the interior and the façade were changed considerably. Several works of art by famous masters like Tintoretto can be admired inside the church.
San Rocco Church Venice
Address, opening times and entrance fee
Address: Campo San Rocco – Venice (tel. + 39 041 5234864). Opening hours: 09:30 to 17:30.
History and description
Construction of the San Rocco Church began in 1489. The original project was by Bartolomeo Bon, but it was completely changed in 1725 by Giovanni Scalfarotto.
Scalfarotto, whose main claim to fame is his work on the San Siméon Piccolo Church, altered the nave, leaving only the apsidal chapels intact.
In 1771, the facade of the church was changed by Bernardino Maccaruzzi. He adapted the facade to the one of the adjacent Scuola di San Rocco, of which the church was property.
The high-relief depicting “San Rocco nursing the sick” was made by Giovanni Maria Morlaiter.