The former San Vidal Church is located near the Ponte dell’Accademia in the sestiere San Marco in Venice. The church is graced by a number of artworks painted in the 17th century.
San Vidal Church Venice
Address, opening times and entrance fee
Address : Campo San Vidal – Venice (tel. +39 041 5225061). Opening hours: Monday to Saturday, from 9:30 am to 6:00 pm; Sundays, from 10.00 am to 6:00 pm. Entrance fee: Free of charge. Public transportation: Line 1, stop Accademia; line 2 stop Accademia, San Samuele.
History and description
The San Vidal Church is dedicated to Saint Vitalis. It was probably built in 1084 by order of the Doge Vitale Falier.
A first reconstruction, in which the bell tower received a pyramid-shaped top, took place in the 12th century.
In the 15th century the church received a Gothic makeover.
The current appearance is largely due to a renovation carried out between 1696 and 1700 by Antonio Gaspari. The newly designed facade designed was intended as a tribute to the Doge Francesco Morosini. Because of strife within the Morosini family, the work was not completed however. Gaspari did manage to complete the interior.
Completion of the façade was the work of Andrea Tirali, who, between 1734 and 1737, gave the church a facelift based on Palladio‘s insights. This work was carried out by order of the Contarini family.
Nowadays the church, which consists of a single nave and a number of side altars, is used only for classical music concerts.
Works of art
Vittorio Carpaccio painted the altarpiece depicting “San Vitale on his Horse and Four Saints Honouring Mary.”
Sebastiano Ricci painted the “Immaculate Conception”
The church is further graced by 17th century paintings by Piazzetta, Pellegrini, Giulia Lama and others. The latter was one of the few female painters of the time. Very little is known about her life.
Several 17th century paintings are also on display in the sacristy.