The San Zulian Church is located a short walk from the Basilica of San Marco, in the sestiere San Marco in Venice. The main attraction of this austere church, completely rebuilt in the 16th century, is an altarpiece by Paolo Veronese.
San Zulian Church Venice
Address, opening times and admission
Address : San Marco 604 – Venice (tel. +39 041 5235383). Opening hours: From 08:00 to 19:30. Entrance fee: Free of charge. Public transportation: Lines 1, 2, 7, 14, 15, 19, 20, 4.1, 4.2, 5.1, 5.2, B, N (stop S. Marco S. Zaccaria).
History and description
The San Zulian Church was founded in the year 829. It is dedicated to San Giuliano, which is pronounced Zulian in Venetian and thus explains the name of the church.
Its current appearance is the result of a reconstruction under by Jacopo Sansovino and Alessandro Vittoria. The commission for this reconstruction, which lasted from 1553 to 1555, was given by the physician and philosopher Tommaso Rangone.
The church features a simple facade and a single nave. The main attraction is the altarpiece by Paolo Veronese at the first altar on the right. It was painted in 1584 and depicts “Saints Mark, James and Hieronymus with the Dead Christ Carried Away by Angels”.
The marble “Pietà” in the Cappella del Scaramento was made in 1579 by the then young sculptor Girolamo Campagna.