The Sant’Agostino Church is located in the Largo Sant’Agostino in Acquapendente (province of Viterbo). The adjacent convent was transformed into a school.
Sant’Agostino Church Acquapendente
The address of the Chiesa di Sant’Agostino is Largo Sant’Agostino, snc – 01021 Acquapendente. Like most small town churches it is open when there are religious celebrations.
History and description
The Sant’Agostino Church and its cloister were founded in the year 1290. The architectural style at the time was Gothic, but nowadays hardly anything of this can be seen.
Having been severely damaged by fire in 1746, it was the first church in Acquapendente to receive a Baroque facelift.
The façade on the Via Roma still shows some original medieval characteristics, especially thanks to the pointed arches.
The cloister of the monastery next to the church was also preserved in its original form for a long time, until it was expropriated during the unification of Italy and used as military barracks. In the early 20th century it was transformed into a school.
Excavations near the old monastery have unearthed ceramic art that is now exhibited in the small museum in the Torre Julia de’ Jacopo.
The Museo della Città displays a lunette from 1505, which used to be placed near the entrance and was originally part of an altar painting in the presbytery of the Sant’Agostino Church. The artist was Girolamo di Benvenuto. Another part of this canvas, the “Madonna on the Throne with Saints” is now on display in the Fogg Art Museum di Cambridge in the United States.