The Sant’Agostino Church stands in the Piazza Sant’Agostino in Bagnoregio. The actual name of the church is the Chiesa di Maria Santissima Annunziata.
Sant’Agostino Church Bagnoregio
The address of the Chiesa di Sant’Agostino is Piazza Sant’Agostino – 01022 Bagnoregio.
History and description
This originally 11th century Romanesque church was transformed into a Gothic Church in the 14th century.
The Chiesa di Sant’Agostino has a single nave and a rectangular presbytery with a cross vault.
Highlights are a 15th century wooden crucifix, and a number of frescoes from the 15th and 16th centuries. The frescoes were painted by Taddeo di Bartolo and Giovanni di Paolo.
To the left of the church is a leaning bell tower from 1735.
The Cloister of the Seminary at Sant’Agostino Church was designed by Michele Sanmicheli in 1524, while the central well dates from 1604 and was the work of Ippolito Scalza.
Inside the little church are 15th century paintings depicting “Sant’Antonio di Padova and Sant’Antonio Abate” (last altar on the left), “Santa Monica” (first altar on the left), and a “Madonna and Child and Saints Bartolomeo and Giacomo” (altar on the right).