The Sant’Anastasia Basilica is the most important Gothic church in Verona. It is also the largest church in the city. Highlights are the two baptismal fonts at the central nave, the Castelbarco Sarcophagus and the magnificent entrance gate.
Sant’Anastasia Basilica Verona
Address, opening hours and ticket price
Address: Piazza Santa Anastasia – Verona. Telephone: +39 0458004325. Opening Hours: March-October: 09.00-18.00 (Sundays and public holidays: 13.00-18.00); November-February: 10.00-17.00 (Sundays and public holidays: 13.00-17.00). During mass, the church is forbidden for tourists. Entrance fee: Free with the Verona Card.
It was two friars of the Domenican Order who started construction of the Sant’Anastasia Basilica in 1290. Their names were Fra Benvenuto da Bologna and Fra Nicolo da Imola. Before that there used to be a temple built by the Ostrogoth King Theodoric the Great. The church was only completed in the 15th century. A restoration took place between 1878 and 1881.
The building to the left of the facade is the former Domenican monastery. At the entrance of the monastery you can see the Gothic Castelbarco sarcophagus with canopy, which was made in the early 14th century by the Maestro of Sant’Anastasia.
Next to the monastery is the San Giorgetto Church. The interior of this church, founded in 1283, is decorated with frescoes by various artists. The San Giorgetto Church is usually closed.
The Gothic style apse at the back of the basilica is located directly below the 15th century bell tower
The facade was never finished. The lower part is covered with brick, but the upper part is bare. The lower part is mainlynotable because of the two identical entrance doors which are located under one protiro. These are decorated with paintings and sculptures. The frescoes in the lunettes originate date back to the early 15th century. On the architrave events from the lives of Jesus and the saints Anastasia and Caterina are sculpted. On the central column are three high reliefs depicting saints. The sculpted Madonna dates from the 15th century. The friezes with the cupids on either side of the portal date from the 16th century.
The interior of the Sant’Anastasia Church consists of three naves and the floor plan is that of a Greek cross. The naves are separated by large marble columns with Gothic capitals. The vaults are decorated with plant motifs and depictions of saints.
The floor is made of red, white and black marble and was laid by Pietro da Porlezza in 1462.
At the first two columns are two famous baptismal fonts from the 16th century. They both rest on statues depicting two hunchbacked men.
The altars along the side naves are decorated with sculptures, paintings and frescoes from the 14th to the 16th century.
A highlight is the Fregoso Altar, made around 1560. Michele Sanmicheli was responsible for the architecture and Danese Cataneo for the sculpture.
The Tommaso d’Aquino Altar was decorated between 1488 and 1502. The altar piece “Madonna on the Throne with Child and Saints” was painted by Girolamo dai Libri.
The Cavalli Chapel has a number of 14th century frescoes, including Altichiero‘s main works. Altichiero (130-1390) was one of the most important painters of his time, especially because of his frescoes in the Basilica del Santo and the San Giorgio Oratorium in Padua.
In the Pellegrini Chapel you can see some high reliefs by Michele da Firenze.
The Seregno Monument is located near the pulpit. Nanni di Bartolo took care of the sculptures and Michele Gambono was responsible for the frescoes.
The most famous work of art on display in the basilica is the fresco “San Giorgio Frees the Princess from the Dragon” by Pisanello.