Sant’Angelo Church Celano

The Sant’Angelo Church is located directly beside the town castle of Celano. It was built in the 14th century, commissioned by the same person who had ordered construction of the castle.

Sant’Angelo Church Celano

Useful information

Address: Via del Castello, 15 – 67043 Celano. Phone: +39 . Opening times: . Ticket price: Free. (Note that prices and times may be subject to change.)

History and description

Sant'Angelo Church Celano
Sant’Angelo Church

The Sant’Angelo Church is located to the left of the castle of Celano. Originally the church was called Chiesa di San Michele Arcangelo. It is located next to a palace that used to serve as the seat of the Monastic Order of the Celestini until the city came under the rule of the Kingdom of Naples.

The church was built in 1392. The commissioner was Pietro Berardi, who was also responsible for the adjoining castle. The construction of the church was completed in 1451.

The most striking feature of the facade is the central statue of a swor-wielding San Michele Arcangelo.

Similar decorations were used for the portal and the rose window. On either side of the portal are two thin pillars supported by lions.

The Baroque interior has five marble altars decorated with cupids. The organ dates from the 18th century.

Curiosities

On Good Friday, a sung version of the Via Crucis is performed in the Sant’Angelo Church.

Sant’Angelo Church Celano


View Larger Map

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow by Email
WhatsApp