The Sant’Antonio Abate Church is located in the Via Massimo d’Azeglio in the historic center of Bologna. The church was built in the 14th century. The beautiful palace adjacent to this church was built in 1588.
Church of Sant’Antonio Abate in Bologna
Address: Via Massimo d’Azeglio, 53 – 40123 Bologna. Phone: +39 051 6449552.
History and description
The Chiesa di Sant’Antonio Abate was built in 1328. However, its current appearance is the result of a major reconstruction in the first half of the 17th century. The architect of this reconstruction was Floriano Ambrosini.
What to see
Artists whose paintings can be seen here include P. and L. Fontana, D. Calvaert and B. Ramenghi nicknamed Il Bagnacavallo; the altar cloth is by F. Fabbi.
The impressive building next to the church used to be the seat of the Collegio Montalto. The original design was made by the architect P. Fiorini. In 1622, the palace was considerably enlarged.