The Santa Cristina Church is the left one of the two twin churches occupying opposite corners on the southern part of the Piazza San Carlo in Turin. The right one is dedicated to San Carlo Borromeo. The two churches are separated by the Via Roma.
Santa Cristina Church Turin
Address: Piazza San Carlo – Torino. Phone: +39 011 539281. Opening times: From 08.00 till 12.45 and from 15.00 till 19.00. Entrance fee: Free.
History and description
The Santa Cristina Church was built in 1639, on the behest of Madama Maria Cristina di Francia. Both the church and the adjacent convent were made after a design by Carlo di Castellamonte. The convent was destroyed in 1935 for the construction of the Via Roma.
The facade was the work of Filippo Juvarra and was constructed between 1715 and 1718. The statues adorning the facade depict saints and allegories of certain virtues. The sculptors were Carlo Antonio Tantardini and Giuseppe Salvatore Caresan, who was of Swiss origin. The latter was responsible for the statues of Santa Teresa and of Santa Cristina.
The interior consists of a single ship. Amedeo di Castellamonte was in charge of the decorations. The main altar was the work of Ferdinando Bonsignore.