The Santa Croce Church in Semproniano is located next to the Castello Aldobrandeschi. It was constructed in the 12th century.
Santa Croce Church Semproniano
Address: Via della Rocca, 18, 58055 Semproniano.
History and description
The Chiesa di Santa Croce was constructed in 1188. It consists of a single nave and apse. The walls are black and white.
The wooden crucifix above the altar dates from the 11th or 12th century. According to a legend, in 1882, when there was a typhus epidemic in the village, the inhabitants of Semproniano carried the crucifix in a parade through the streets of the city. The epidemic died out immediately afterward.
The Pietà on the wall of the apse was painted in the 18th century, probably by a painter from the Veneto.
The last restoration of the church took place in the 19th century.